Dragon fruit is a food which is produced on an ascending cactus named hylocereus, that could be located mainly in tropical areas. The title of the plant derived from the Greek word “hyle,” meaning “woody” and the Latin term “cereus,” meaning “waxen.”
The fruit appears on the exterior as a bright pink or yellow bulb with pinnate green leaves that fire like flames. When you opened it up, you’ll notice a fleshy white substance filled with a few black seeds that are safe to consume.
Red and yellow-skinned variants of this fruit are available. Southern Mexico, as well as South and Central America, were once home to the cactus. In the early nineteenth century, the French introduced it to Southeast Asia.
It’s known as “pitaya” in Central America. It’s known as a “strawberry pear” in Asia. Dragon fruit is now widely available in the United States.
Dragon fruit is a delicious fruit with a mildly sweet flavour that tastes like a variation between a kiwi, a peach, and a watermelon, according to others. A nutty taste pervades the seeds.
Nutritional Values of Dragon Fruit
You’ll get the following nutrients in a 6-ounce portion of dragon fruit cubes:
- 102 calories
- 5 g of fibre
- 13 grammes of sugar
- 22 gramme carbohydrate
- 0 gramme of fat
- 2 gramme protein
You will also receive the following vitamins and minerals:
- 100 international units of vitamin A (IU)
- Magnesium (mg): 68 mg
- 31 mg calcium
- 4 mg of caffeine vitamin C
- 1 g iron
Preparation of Dragon Fruit
Compress it slowly before buying dragon fruit. It should be able to give a tiny bit without being too soggy or soft. Fruit with scratches or dry leaves is fully ripe and should be avoided. Allow it to ferment on the surface for several days if it seems rough when you push on it.
Slashed this into quarters in order to make the fruit. Whether in skin or spoon the body, ice cream pour, or melon baller. Don’t eat your skin.
How to consume Dragon Fruit
Dragon fruit can be consumed in a variety of ways.Combine it with the other dried fruits including pineapple and mango in a side dish. Get a salsa out of it. Make ice cream with it.Try squeezing it in water and drink. Use it for Greek yoghurt as a surface. Or cool down and mix in a smoothie.
When is the season of Dragon fruit?
In Central and South America, Mexico and Israel, Australia, the Caribbeans and in the warmer United States such as Texas, California and Florida, Dragon fruit is grown. It is available throughout the year during the summers.
Health Advantages of Dragon Fruit
The health benefits of dragon fruit are numerous, such as:
- It is full of antioxidants including phenolic acid, flavonoids and betacyanine. The above natural agents secure your cells against damages caused by free radicals, molecules that could cause cancer and precocious ageing diseases.
- Dragon fruit has a high fibre content as well as calcium.
- Unconsciously it is free of fat and fiber-free. It’s a delicious treat as it can allow you to keep among meals for long periods of time.
- It can reduce your sugar in the blood. This may be due to the fact that it substitutes destroyed cells in your pancreas that produce insulin, a hormone that aids in the reduction of sugar, according to experts. However, the research was conducted on mice rather than humans. It’s uncertain how often dragon fruit you’d need to reap these advantages.
- It will help to boost the immune system. Vitamin C and other antioxidant found in dragon fruit are beneficial to your immune response.
- It will help you get more iron. Iron is essential for transporting oxygen around your body and generating power, and dragon fruit contains it. Dragon fruit also contains vitamin C, which aids in the absorption and use of iron.
Health Risks of Dragon Fruit
Dragon fruit is usually safe to consume, but isolated allergy reactions have been identified in research. Thickening of tongue, hives and vomiting are signs of this. It appears that such a reaction is quite uncommon.
This might convert your urine pink or red if you consume more red dragon fruit. It’s more disturbing than it is in fact. If you eat many celery it can be the relatively similar thing. When the fruit is off your system, your urine should be returning to its normal colour.
Dragon Fruit Storage
Pack up to 5 days in the refrigerator for any remaining dragon fruit in a plastic container. Or refrigerate until 3 months.